Facebook And Twitter Buttons

Follow EmpireOfAnfield on Twitter

Click here for a free £25 sports bet

Friday 14 January 2011

Dalglish Can't Wait For The Derby

Kenny Dalglish admits he couldn't have asked for a better way to begin his spell as manager at Anfield, than the fixture of all fixtures, the Merseyside Derby.
Dalglish has played and managed many derbies in his time, but says this may just be the most important he's ever taken part in.

"The derbies in any city are special, and this one is probably more special than many others for very many good reasons" he said.

"Until lately, the relationship between the fans has always been magnificent, something that sets Merseyside derbies apart from anywhere else"

"So it's a fantastic day for people and the city which can be proud of the heritage of the two football clubs. That's reflected when the two clubs play each other. We have got enormous respect for David Moyes and Everton and what they've done"

"I'm looking forward to the game, obviously there's a big story about coming back to Anfield for the first game which is going to be fantastic for myself"

"It will probably be very emotional as well to stand in front of the punters.

"But it's more important how we go about it with the players and how they adapt as well.

"Sunday is a day that I'll remember for a long, long time, going back in."

Funnily enough, the last game Dalglish managed in his last spell as Liverpool manager was against everton at Goodison Park, and turned out to be a fantastic 4-4 draw, a few hours later he shocked the country by resigning.

"I remember at the time, I knew that afternoon I was going to go in the next day and say that was me finished" said Dalglish looking back

"On the night, I should have made a change and I never did so, so when I came in at time up I thought, 'Yeah, you've done the right thing (by resigning)'"

"There's no point the person in charge not being able to make a decision. I knew I'd done the right thing."

Dalglish then talked a little about the Hillsborough disaster, adding, "The Hillsborough Cup final was a special one because of the circumstances leading up to it"

"Liverpool had fantastic support from Evertonians and suddenly we were competing with each other to win the FA Cup"

"I remember how the whole day was, how the fans supported both clubs and the total respect from Everton of the situation we had been in"

"For me that will always be the most special derby"

You can follow Empire Of Anfield tomorrow where we will show the match, and bring you all the lineup details.

YNWA

No comments:

Post a Comment