Facebook And Twitter Buttons

Follow EmpireOfAnfield on Twitter

Click here for a free £25 sports bet

Saturday 5 February 2011

Meireles: Win Is All We're Thinking Of

In an interview Raul Meireles has claimed that the presence of Fernando Torres will not distract Liverpool from their bid to record a fourth successive Barclays Premier League win on Sunday.

Torres could make his Chelsea debut against the Reds at Stamford Bridge, but that is of no concern to the on form midfielder.

Instead he is focused on making it 12 points from 12 following wins against Fulham, Wolves and Stoke.

Here's what January's player of the month had to say:

"Everybody will speak about Fernando but the team will only think about the game, we'll work hard to make it a great game".

"We're starting to play with more joy and confidence and we'll work to continue this. We won the first game against Chelsea at Anfield and that felt great to beat Chelsea 2-0".

"It's normal in football, players change clubs. I've played against Fernando before for Portugal vs Spain. We've got to respect his choice".

"He helped me lots when I came to Liverpool and I wish him the best, though not on Sunday".

He then continued by chatting on about Liverpool's current form:

"I think we're playing good football, we've put in good performances in the last games and we're happy".

"The main thing for me is the belief in the team. The team believes we have enough quality to beat other teams and be in a better position".

"It's going well now and we're happy. The manager has shown confidence in us as a group. We're playing with more joy".
He was then asked about his own form:

"It's a good moment for me but the most important thing is the victories. I have started to score goals but I don't live for goals, I live to win. I want to win every game, that's the most important thing for me".

"I feel great to play at this level. I like English football, the supporters are fantastic and I'm happy to play here".

As well as a potential bow for Torres in a blue shirt, Sunday could be an opportunity for Luis Suarez to make his first start for Liverpool following his £22,800,000 move from Ajax.

Supporters have already had a glimpse of the talent which made him a World Cup star in 2010, with him bagging a debut goal against Stoke at the Kop End, after being on the pitch for around 15 minutes.

This impressed Meireles, who finished off his interview with "He's a very good player and has scored a lot of goals in Holland. We're trying to help him because he speaks Spanish, we're helping him with the language. But he's a good transfer for us".

YNWA

No comments:

Post a Comment